Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Visual Diary: Beyond the Hills/ După dealuri (2012) Cristian Mungiu

By Olivia Maria Hărşan

I am currently focusing on a section of my thesis that deals with possessed nuns so I have been watching the Romanian film Beyond the Hills alongside Jerzy Kawalerowicz's Mother Joan of the Angels (1961) and The Archers' (aka. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger) Black Narcissus (1947). All three draw a fine line between reality and supernaturalism which is in fact the core of my thesis. I think I'll have to steer clear on Black Narcissus as it is a British production, however those of you that have not yet seen it I encourage you to do it right now. It is phenomenal to say the least. The same goes for Beyond the Hills and Mother Joan. Both engage with the subject of devil possession in a rational manner - there are no ghoulish representations of mythical entities but there is room to consider the psychological problems that torment these characters. This is bound to be an interesting segment of my research that will have me suffering from intense nightmares as the rest of my work has in the past few months - worth it.











No comments: